BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
I was on the M50 northbound last week and I passed the Ballymun exit and noticed a sierra in the hard shoulder reversing back up the motorway to get onto the exit he past. Very scary when u are passing a reversing car at 70mph and he's only barely in the Hard Shoulder.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was on the M1 this morning and got stuck in a large queue behind a truck in the overtaking lane doing 56mph, the truck he was "overtaking" was doing 55mph, no joke, it took just short of 3 moles before he pulled in!!

The only problem is it was a northern registered truck - maybe he was heading to the vrt friendly office in Tallaght ;)

richie_rvf

·
Registered
363 Posts
Why have they only made driving on the hard shoulder applicable on a motorway; I see it done on one particular stretch of the N17 quite a bit!
Also, can someone explain the "failure to turn left when entering a roundabout" bit?
Aren't "failure to act in accordance with a Garda signal" and "failure to stop when so required by a member of the Garda Siochana" essentially the same thing with different penalties?
"Driving a vehicle when unfit" - is that the car or the driver (I'm not fit; does that gain me points?)
"Failure by driver to comply with front seat belt requirements" & "Failure by driver to comply with rear seat belt requirements for passengers"; I thought that it was up to passengers over 18 to belt up; that the onus was only on the driver for passengers under the age of legal consent???
"Driver found to be driving carelessly"; how is that defined? eg, if I go around a bend at 100kph in my BMW, and the Garda behind me in his Punto feels that the safe speed is 75kph, am I being careless, rather than it being down to the differing capabilities of the two cars?

Current: BMW E39 520i 2.0 SE Black 69k to infinity!

Still Technically Dyslexic!

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ Fey, indeed.....!!

I heard that the logic (hah) behind the hard shoulder thing is because the emergency services need to use it, because there is a barrier in the center of the motorway they cannot get through - makes a bit of sense?

Going left on a roundabout - well, you certainly don't want to turn right?

I'm going to the gym - just incase it's the driver who has to be fit ;)

I agree with your last point, I guess staying within the speed limit isn't enough any more!!

Rich.

richie_rvf

·
Registered
363 Posts
I read the roundabout thing wrong - hadn't thought of going around the roundabout in the wrong direction! D'uh!

I wasn't against the hard shoulder; I just can't see why it only applies to motorways.

As for the fitness thing; the amount of cars on the road with only one front/back light working is, imo, astounding!

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Speaking of which - I was behind an 02 Fiat Stilo the other night - when the guy hit the brakes, both reverse lights came on, and the main rear lights went out, when he indicated (i think he was indicating anyway) the reverse lights flashed and the main rear lights flashed too...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Same with a lot of Fords. And badly maintained cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts