• YES

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • NO

Votes: 38 66.7%
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
E60 520d M-Sport Auto
28 Posts
Had our first N47 failure a couple of weeks ago. 2010 318d with 138,000km.

Sat down on the M1 on a Friday night. Full service history, but with an indy rather than main dealer.

Initial estimate was €4,500 with BMW covering 80% parts. Eventual outcome of BMW providing a whole new engine at a cost of €1,500 + VAT :). Helps to have a bit of leverage though....

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
2008 520d, have it since new, full history, chain broke, was rattling for a while, maybe 6 months max.

Got it repaired thanks to Conor (healyc).

All good again,

Richie.

·
I Like Lamp
421 Posts
Sounds like a major issue surely there is preventative maintenance to ensure this would not happen!

·
Premium Member
3,788 Posts
Sounds like a major issue surely there is preventative maintenance to ensure this would not happen!
I've come to the conclusion that no is the answer!

I've seen cars that have been serviced every 10-15k and then cars that have barely been serviced. Both examples have broken chains. It's a chain issue, not an oil/lubrication issue like what most other timing chain issues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that no is the answer!

I've seen cars that have been serviced every 10-15k and then cars that have barely been serviced. Both examples have broken chains. It's a chain issue, not an oil/lubrication issue like what most other timing chain issues.

Yeah but is there anything you can do (like change the chain) that wont cost as much if you had to do it after it breaks.. Do ya get me

·
F10 530d M Sport
1,011 Posts
The problem is that on the N47 engine BMW decided to put the timing chain on the rear of the engine against the cabin bulkhead because it was supposed to be designed for the lifetime of the engine and not need to be replaced. I think it can be replaced on the 5 Series without removing the engine but in the 1 and 3 Series to get at the chain the engine has to come out. Replacing the camshaft would require the block to be stripped down afaik. Both are labour intensive and this is where it gets expensive.

BMW should get their ass kicked for such a serious design flaw that is costing their customers thousands to put right but they are getting away with it in the form of a cop out excuse that the car hasn't a full BMWSH or what they consider to be too old or have high mileage and then put a PR spin on the problem by offering goodwill in the form of generating revenue for their dealers by still awarding them the labour costs of putting it right at the customer's expensive.

If the likes of the American consumer was shafted like this then you can be guaranteed that there would be such an outcry that BMW would be forced to replace every single one of these chains free of charge as a damage limitation exercise but alas over here it seems consumers and consumer groups seem to have less protection and influence.

·
Premium Member
3,788 Posts
The problem is that on the N47 engine BMW decided to put the timing chain on the rear of the engine against the cabin bulkhead because it was supposed to be designed for the lifetime of the engine and not need to be replaced. I think it can be replaced on the 5 Series without removing the engine but in the 1 and 3 Series to get at the chain the engine has to come out. Replacing the camshaft would require the block to be stripped down afaik. Both are labour intensive and this is where it gets expensive.
Engine doesn't need to be removed on any model to replace the chains and I'm sure you mean crankshaft ;)

·
Registered
704 Posts
So im thinking about buying a 08 320d, can someone who knows how to fix this problem before it happens pm me a price please so i can factor it in..
valdes or conor? or anyone else.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Guy in work's wife dropped in her 520d while down in Waterford for a service - they told her chain was about to go and not to drive the car. They're quoting 5k to fix!

41 - 60 of 75 Posts