• YES

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • NO

Votes: 38 66.7%
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Guy in work's wife dropped in her 520d while down in Waterford for a service - they told her chain was about to go and not to drive the car. They're quoting 5k to fix!
hahaha thats crazy when the chain didn't actually break anything..
ill have to go back to a audi so..;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I'm just looking for a little help. I've a deal done on a 09 318d m sport for 15600 with 34000 miles. It's a bmw premium selection with the two year warranty. The dealer has told me the car has a full service history. After hearing about the timing chain issues I'm wondering if I should look at a newer model after the chain problems were solved although they are out of my budget at the moment.

Also when we're the problems sorted ?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1 Posts
YES - 520d F10 2010 model

Luckily I heard the continues clicking when the engine is on idle, search the net and thanks for all the forums and youtube confirming the issue.
Took it to garage where they confirmed that issue and boom, this still cost me £1750/-
BMW should reimburse this expense or change the car engine to newer one which does not have this known issue. Its fixed for now, but is it for sure that this will not happen again sooner or later ???

·
Registered
5 Posts
2008BMW 320d Timing Chain

Hi my 320d has 115,000 kms and has no problems so far. However I am going to get the tensioner checked by BMW asap

·
Registered
5 Posts
Timing Chain on 320d

Hi, since last post I got my 2008 320d timing chain checked by Joe Duffy Motors couple of weeks ago at 116,000kms. They found no play on the chains but replaced the Tensioner--all free. Bought it off them 2 1/2 years ago but don't think it mattered where I bought it. I think they will check pretty much any BMW with the N47 engine. My job was all free. If they had to replace all chains etc which they did on a friends 520d the same day you get hit for €150 oil change only. I feel a little more secure now

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've owned my e92 for almost a year now, thankfully it's been virtually trouble free so far. However, the timing chain problem has frequently entered my head. Last service I took the car to J Donohoe BMW in Enniscorthy. When I asked about them checking the timing chain they said all they can do it a audible type test...as in if they hear the problem they'll flag it. This didn't fill me with confidence for a long term guarantee. Reading the threads above I decided to book into Joe Duffy for next service. When I asked about checking the timing chain, she looked and said my engine wasn't one of the effected engines and I didn't have anything to worry about. The car is a 10 320D, which definitely has the n47. It's a bit confusing, is it a case that only certain n47s are effected by this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
One of my old lecturers had a 2008/09 520d and his went on the way home to Cork. So engine out and repaired, then it went 18 months later. Total cost between the two he said came to around 9k. But he got huge money off the second time repairs. For what its worth, he said it was always serviced etc, and he was in his late 50's to early 60's, so I doubt the engine got a hard life either.
i have no experience personally with the 2.0d.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I've owned my e92 for almost a year now, thankfully it's been virtually trouble free so far. However, the timing chain problem has frequently entered my head. Last service I took the car to J Donohoe BMW in Enniscorthy. When I asked about them checking the timing chain they said all they can do it a audible type test...as in if they hear the problem they'll flag it. This didn't fill me with confidence for a long term guarantee. Reading the threads above I decided to book into Joe Duffy for next service. When I asked about checking the timing chain, she looked and said my engine wasn't one of the effected engines and I didn't have anything to worry about. The car is a 10 320D, which definitely has the n47. It's a bit confusing, is it a case that only certain n47s are effected by this?
I got told the same thing by M&G - not sure I believe them. I have HealyC check mine at each service now. If the signs come up I'll probably have the chain replaced. Planning to change next year so hopefully it'll be all good until then :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
F30 318d 2015 snapped at 75k myles, was going on the motorway and snapped whenever the car was down shofted (not high revs just coming townards a turn) there was no noises before and a week before it snapped the car was checked and serviced in the bmw garage.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts