BMW-Driver.net Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
First off I'm a complete novice. I have very little to no knowledge of anything to do with cars so I would greatly appreciate some advice and apologies if I don't understand some of your answers.

I have a 98 318 Tds.
There is very little power in the car.
It struggles in 2nd on semi-steep inclines.
There is alot of noise and rattle from the car and smoke when it starts.
Recently it failed the NCT on emissions or ''smoke''. It was well over twice the limit.
A family friend recently suggested replacing the timing chains and tensioner on the car but this turned out to be too difficult because ''the whole head has to come off to get at it'' (I have no idea what that means sorry).
However, you could see the top chain when you removed a cover and it appeared to be slack and not responsive enough (or so I was told). So instead of ''taking the whole head off'' he
- knocked out a link on the new chain
- knocked out a link on the old chain
- attached the old chain to the new chain and fed it through by turning something low to the ground that was sticking out after we removed the fan, whilst turning something else behind it as I believe they have to work in sync
- reattached the new chain when it appeared on the other side

This turned out to make very little difference.
The smoke levels are still way too high (over twice the limit as mentioned before).
Last year I had the injectors reconditioned as there was blue smoke and the car wasn't starting - this fixed that problem.
So to sum up my question: Is there anything I can do to fix the power/smoke problem?

I have a new bottom chain and tensioner but I don't want to get someone to do that job if it won't fix the problem.

Again any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
295 Posts
First off, changing a timing chain like that is just asking for trouble man!!

When you say lots of smoke, is it black, blue or white smoke?? I'm not an expert on diesels but…….

Considering you've no power in her, if its blue smoke it could be piston rings or valve stem seals. Lack of compression = loss in power.

If its white smoke, the turbo is fucked basically = loss in power.

Best thing to do man is get a decent mechanic who actually knows what he's doing to have a look at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
09 320D M Sport Touring E91 Timing chain

Hi All,

Just registered here today as I have been told by BMW today that it is going to cost 3000 euro to have my timing chain replaced on my 09 320D M Sport Touring.It was tested today and the synopsis is that it rates 9 out of 10 in terms of needing a replacment,the cost to be told this was 80 euro.

My case has been sent to BMW to decide wether they will foot part of the bill or not ,i am told because the car has previous service history with official BMW garages they will look on this kindly,by the way the car is regularly serviced and the only fault that was reported additionally with the car was that a replacement windscreen wiper was needed.

I spoke with a mates mate today after the news in the UK ,who lucky for me works as a mechanic in a BMW dealers in Kent,he tells me he can get it done for less than 650-800 sterling no problems,and thats maximum.

Are we being robbed here or can anyone suggest such a difference in price.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hello.

First off I'm a complete novice. I have very little to no knowledge of anything to do with cars so I would greatly appreciate some advice and apologies if I don't understand some of your answers.

I have a 98 318 Tds.

There is very little power in the car.

It struggles in 2nd on semi-steep inclines.

There is alot of noise and rattle from the car and smoke when it starts.

Recently it failed the NCT on emissions or ''smoke''. It was well over twice the limit.

A family friend recently suggested replacing the timing chains and tensioner on the car but this turned out to be too difficult because ''the whole head has to come off to get at it'' (I have no idea what that means sorry).

However, you could see the top chain when you removed a cover and it appeared to be slack and not responsive enough (or so I was told). So instead of ''taking the whole head off'' he

- knocked out a link on the new chain

- knocked out a link on the old chain

- attached the old chain to the new chain and fed it through by turning something low to the ground that was sticking out after we removed the fan, whilst turning something else behind it as I believe they have to work in sync

- reattached the new chain when it appeared on the other side

This turned out to make very little difference.

The smoke levels are still way too high (over twice the limit as mentioned before).

Last year I had the injectors reconditioned as there was blue smoke and the car wasn't starting - this fixed that problem.

So to sum up my question: Is there anything I can do to fix the power/smoke problem?

I have a new bottom chain and tensioner but I don't want to get someone to do that job if it won't fix the problem.

Again any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

The family friend may have been trying his best but total rubbish advice.

Get it checked professionally.

Most likely EGR/MAFTurbo issues

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts