BMW-Driver.net Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying an E60 M5. Is there anyone here that has one? Any advice and experiences welcome.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What a machine is all I can say. I have a constant smile every time I drive her. There are bad points like any car but believe me, the good out weigh the bad by miles.

For piece of mind I would definitely only go for one that still has comprehensive warranty active.....mines costing €100 a month for that. They are not exactly a reliable car.....I have had €6k worth of warranty work done in the past year., so it has paid for itself over and over again

Next is the dreaded fuel economy, don't even ask, they are complete pigs. I am using mine as a daily commute back and forth to work through town, I'm just about seeing 200km to a €75 tank. but you'll quickly forget about that when you sink the boot.

Probably the most notorious and labour sensitive preventative maintenance that any M5 owner should do IMO is the rod bearings and bolts. A quick google search will return a tonne of info and disaster stories. They were a design flaw from the beginning and ppl have seen failures in engines as low as 20k miles. I have just got this work completed as mine is shy of 60k. There was a good amount of wear found.

I am running Eisenmann race back boxes, Evolve Eventuri CF Intakes and an RPi under drive pulley. The sound and pull is outstanding. My Evolve Alpha N map is due to arrive later this week, which is supposed to transform the car.

Let me know if you want anymore info

Shane

·
BMW 523i (2006MSport Kit)
113 Posts
...They are not exactly a reliable car.....I have had €6k worth of warranty work done in the past year....
That seems a lot.

Mind me asking how old your car is and was that one particular job, or have you had to go back and forth on a few issues ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
She's an 07 LCI. No it has been in a few times....oil cooler, CD changer, throttle bodies and actuators. Then again that's main dealer warranty work, so I'm sure they know how to bill BMW for the work

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
M5

Thanks for your reply. My plan would be to use her for daily commute for summer months. Its a 24 mile round trip with no real traffic so I'd be hoping for a little better mpg...

Regarding the rod bearings, could you hear a bit of a rattle or harshness coming into her or was it BMW that diagnosed it?

Did you have any hassle with the SMG unit?

I'm aiming for one with less than 85,000 miles, 2006 or 2007.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts