BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the i drive system and radio/cd player started flashing on and off and then just cut out completely,will not even turn on now,what could this be,any 1 know where the fuse is for it ,or is it a bigger problem,advice wanted,thanks:confused:

·
Ross
281 Posts
May not be any help, but there is a way to reboot them. On mine, it's holding the 2 eject buttons, and pressing the volume/mute button. Not sure how this works if you don't have the second nav dvd drive.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sounds like your IDrive screen and controller. Common problem in E60. Dealer job for this I am afraid. I hope its still under warranty as they can be expensive, about €1500 I m told.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Happened to my E60 last year. Had to get the CCC unit replaced. I think it cost close to 1500 which included it being reprogrammed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't know how to take the unit out but make sure you have the correct one as I know there's 2 or 3 different units

·
087 6343208
152 Posts
I know its not the best solution in the world but if it
Were mine I'd disconnect the battery leave it disconnected for about five mins
And keep ur fingers crossed!!
Again just as a check process I'd pop the radio out also see If the radio itself is getting a power supply than u can rule out fuse/power problem.
You don't really have anything to lose if u try those steps
Hope it not the problem suggested in above replies!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I had the same problem and it turned out to be the alternator relay in the boot. was causing the car to stop charging the battery and run into the batteries power instead, and then it would go haywire. i had it cut out once but most times it kept ticking over, just all the electric stuff was giving up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
where is the fuse for the radio and i drive,i know there in behind the glovebox but what number is it,i have no i.d board to tell me which fuse is for what

·
Registered
285 Posts
Interestingly it is a known problem with seals on the E60. The seals are renowned for leting water into the boot and the water tends to accumulate in the boot around the controller unit for the Idrive which is near the battery. Check the boot for wetness and hope its wet as this could be your problem. If it is it will save you €1500.:cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interestingly it is a known problem with seals on the E60. The seals are renowned for leting water into the boot and the water tends to accumulate in the boot around the controller unit for the Idrive which is near the battery. Check the boot for wetness and hope its wet as this could be your problem. If it is it will save you €1500.:cool:
the big 20amp yellow fuse was fried in the boot,i changed it and the radio and i drive came on was working away grand till i turned off the car went in home came out 20mins later and there was no radio or i drive working AGAIN:mad: so checked the fuse and it was fried again and a smell of wire burning in the boot,boot seems to be dry,just can not figure it out,starting to piss me off now,sprayed clearner in around the dash and i drive a few days ago,could that be the problem thats causing it to short circuit:confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
hopefully you wont need to replace everything, i think when battery is low it cuts power to non essential items

just a heads up im upgrading ccc unit and screen in the near future(keep meaning to ring beemerchris) so will be selling on the old kit

also have a spare screen as well was a bit trigger happy on ebay last year

·
Site Sponsor
1,966 Posts
the big 20amp yellow fuse was fried in the boot,i changed it and the radio and i drive came on was working away grand till i turned off the car went in home came out 20mins later and there was no radio or i drive working AGAIN:mad: so checked the fuse and it was fried again and a smell of wire burning in the boot,boot seems to be dry,just can not figure it out,starting to piss me off now,sprayed clearner in around the dash and i drive a few days ago,could that be the problem thats causing it to short circuit:confused:
Take the CCC unit out of the boot and have a smell on it. I bet it's fried I'm afraid. Had 3 cars in this year already with that very same issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Take the CCC unit out of the boot and have a smell on it. I bet it's fried I'm afraid. Had 3 cars in this year already with that very same issue.
i checked the boot well and it was full of water and the Helbako" MPM box was fried,so found my problem,thanks all

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would be trying to hit BMW for part of the cost as its a known problem. The seals in back doors and boot are always letting water in. Give them a call they might surprise you,:)

Reactions: stephen bawn

·
Registered
5 Posts
CD Player Fuse Number

Hi Steve, hope you can help, my cd player is not working on E60 (520i) car radio and i drive works fine, if you can please let me know how i can find which fuse is for cd player, thank you

·
Registered
269 Posts
Fuse chart for the glovebox fuse board, is located in the tool kit on the underside of your boot lid. (Strange place for it, but true nonetheless)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts