BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mad as a sack of Badgers
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Anyone know somewhere (or someone!) who could quote me on an overhaul of an engine? Its a 318ci, 01 model, 1.9 M43B19TU.

I have a feeling a lot of people are going to tell me to get rid and buy a new one, but I can't afford to, and I've invested a lot of time and energy into this one (she's m'baby!).

The main issue looks like a coolant system issue, as I'm finding more puddles and leaks all over, but I think I'd feel better having the engine looked at entirely.

Any help would be appreciated!

And please, nobody suggest slapping a V8 in instead...I've just managed to convince myself this is a bad idea :p

·
cleaned out
2,783 Posts
strip engine cover.. and watch for leaks,, look in at your rad the exspansion bottle stuck to it might have a crack.. follow it down and look under it also,,
more than likely u just need to overhaul your cooling sythem very easy done,,,

new rad and exspansion bottle
new water pump if required
new stat
inspect all the pipe work
if u want to travel out of dublin i could quote u to do everything you need but will have to inspect the car first obviously

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
if you could put a few hours aside this is very much a d.i.y job id imagine a buget of 250e would cover it id say

rad 100e
exspansion bottle 50e
coolant 40e
serointine belts 30e
w/pump 30e
thermostat 30e not sure how much for the m43 engine could be cheaper

·
cleaned out
2,783 Posts
parts cost a few more pound than that but it is very doable urself
i think rad is 150
bottle 50
pump 65
belts and coolant about right
stat is about 40-45 for housing

·
Mad as a sack of Badgers
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys!

It started as a quick leak below the expansion tank, that seems to have been rectified by the stop-leak crap, but since then, more leaks have appeared at various joins.

Water pump seems ok, so its going into Skullys today to get looked at replacing the expansion tank, hoses, and rad-cap. Quoted 250 or thereabouts for parts and labour, but while it's in I'm gonna get them to take a look at the whole shebang and see if theres any preventative work that can be done.

Pulleys are squeaking a bit thanks to having some stopleak residue sprayed onto them.

Engine isn't overheating past the middle of the temp gauge, but it is heating UP to that point a lot quicker than usual.

I think the seal around the water pump might be gone too tho.. the one thing the stopleak did do was help to identify any leak points...by colouring them in...

Cheers again!
Anthony

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
rad's 80 euro on mister auto
pumps 40e

@whistler shop around

try harbour radiators for a price on a rad could be worth your while

·
Super4 BMW
1,334 Posts
Hi Whistler,

If you want another quote PM a list of what you need and i'll do my very best to quote you happy for the parts.

Hope this helps.

Cab

1 - 7 of 7 Posts