BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning the remote key would not lock my car so i had to lock it manually.

My question is do these keys have batteries? Im nearly sure i read somewhere that there isn't batteries in them and that they charge off the ignition? Is this right? I have the second key at home so I will try that after work.

Do these keys need to be recoded if they stop working?

·
320d mtec 150bhp
175 Posts
This morning the remote key would not lock my car so i had to lock it manually.

My question is do these keys have batteries? Im nearly sure i read somewhere that there isn't batteries in them and that they charge off the ignition? Is this right? I have the second key at home so I will try that after work.

Do these keys need to be recoded if they stop working?
Its suppose to be a longlife battery but sometimes they just go, had the same problem with mine got a spare from joe duffy @ €185 total he was the cheapest i tried out of about four places :cool:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its suppose to be a longlife battery but sometimes they just go, had the same problem with mine got a spare from joe duffy @ €185 total he was the cheapest i tried out of about four places :cool:
Shite. Lucky I have a spare one so. Can the longlife battery not be changed no?

·
320d mtec 150bhp
175 Posts
Shite. Lucky I have a spare one so. Can the longlife battery not be changed no?
Well i was told in autokey and frank keane they cant be replaced as he said you only have a few seconds to open it or some shite like that, but they do charge off the battery everytime you turn ignition, my old one works manually so hope your second one does the trick :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was told there is battery in remote key by my engineer
Of course there is sure how else would it be powered!? You hardly needed an engineer to figure that one out ;)

It can be replaced.. but you need to cut the key open to do it because the key is sealed.

There's actually a crowd on ebay that you can post the key to to do it.

Looks a bit untidy to me when stuck back together, but a hell of a lot cheaper than a new key!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts