BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi lads,

First time poster here so be patient :D

I own a 2001 316 1.9 petrol, all elec etc..
Basically the remote central locking just stopped working yesterday morning, would only work the odd time, I don't think it's a battery issue (could be wrong) as the spare key doesnt seem to do anything either, (first time actually trying the spare key since I bought the car so that batt could be dead!) Will try replace the battery tomorrow when I get a chance to see if that works. Is there an easy way of opening the fob up, seems well shut!

note: I took the rear view mirror off yesterday morning and when re-attached it thats when the problems started..

Thanks.

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Firstly, the battery is rechargeable. The key is sealed, so try not mess around with it too much. They recharge whilst in the ignition. Seeing as you were playing about with the sensor in the rear view mirror, I'd firstly re-pair the keys with the car. They could've simply lost this pairing. To carryout this procedure, take a look at the following ---> http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15332

·
Site Sponsor
1,966 Posts
The remote locking function can be "synchronized" to the car to make it work might be all that's needed. Have a look in the DIY section about this.

HTH

Well as above

·
E39 530D Sport
4,835 Posts
How to program your keys.

Sit in the car with all the doors shut and windows up with your key fobs (all your fobs need to be done at the same time)
With one of your keys turn the ignition on then off and remove the key
Press and hold the unlock botton and then press the lock button 3 times.
Release all buttons and the locks will bounce up and down.
Repeat this with the other key/keys (press and hold unlock and press lock 3 times, locks will bounce)

Copied from DIY

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies lads..

I tried the re-programming steps but it doesn't seem to do anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try reversing the button sequence (i.e. press and hold the lock versus the unlock)
Tried that too but no joy..

Would disconnecting the rear view mirror have done something to it?

The mirror itself has to be replaced as its damaged but the R.C.L. was working fine until I disconnected the damn thing!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I had the same problem with mine, turned out to be a fuse (after buying a new key :( ), bmw sorted it out for me

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the same problem with mine, turned out to be a fuse (after buying a new key :( ), bmw sorted it out for me
No way, thats a kick in the nads!

How much did BMW charge you to replace fuse?
Is it something you could have done yourself?

Pretty crap not being able to use it!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
No way, thats a kick in the nads!

How much did BMW charge you to replace fuse?
Is it something you could have done yourself?

Pretty crap not being able to use it!!
Well i only had one key when i got the car so needed to buy another anyway, now i have two fobs that both work :)
Not sure how much it cost for that alone, was getting a few things done and it came to 500 and something :mad:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had the same issue in my e46. Tried everything, re-paired it, fuse. Took the key into the dealer and battery was goosed. €145 for a new one :( They recharge as you drive but if you don't use the spare for a long time (like me 2 years) the battery gets dozed.

·
MonsterShaft Member
540 Posts
Make sure the mirror is connected back up properly, you can find the fusebox inside the glovebox up the top, open it up and the card will be there telling you exactly where the fuse would be

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers lads, will try and sort fuse tomorrow/monday and let you's know..
Poxy not having the rcl not working :mad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts