BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Owner of BMW 520 e12 1978
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I recently bought a 1978 520 e12, it is in really great condition with only 45k genuine miles and full service history to back that up. Brought over from the UK in 2007 with one owner over there, I am the second owner in Ireland.

In a effort to make it a solid reliable daily driver I wanted to swap out the existing fuel tank (not sure what condition it is in) for a plastic one. I had get the carburetor blown out already due to small pieces of debris getting stuck in the fuel jet. Can someone advise me of where I could purchase a replacement plastic fuel tank, or even if I can.

Also, I have heard talk of fitting a product with tin pellets that fits to the fuel line and eliminates the need for using lead replacement additive. Does anyone know what this product is called and where I could buy one?

I a total noob to the classic car scene and would appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks,
Mark.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Power Steering

I forgot to ask, has anyone put power steering into a classic BMW. I heard that the Opel Corsa electric power steering kit is a good (used by rally drivers) option, has anyone experience install/using that kit and would they recommend it. I also head that the power steering rack from a e28 would fit an e12, is this the case and has anyone any experience fitting one of those?

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
South Dublin mechanic I would recommend Valdas in Motor Confidence, he worked on a 2002 turbo for me.

Unit 14
Knockmitten Lane
Dublin 12
Ph (086) 896 4573

With regards to your list I could try a contact in Holland for your wheels and steering wheel if you want. Here are the wheels on one of my old E12's

ImageUploadedByAG Free1411047748.638513.jpg

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stunning E12 there Andy. Yeah, I'd be interested in get a quote for wheels and steering wheel if they have them for sure. Did you have power steering on that E12?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Gorgeous E12....Jut checking how did you fare out with the fuel tank, I need one for my E21. Not too keen on a second hand in case it is lying up for a while so a brand new one or did you get anywhere with the plastic tank?

Ta
Colm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts