BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at a decat and shotgun pipes for the 328 drift car. Question is can I run without O2 sensors in place or will it be down on power and run shit or is it just an emission thing for the nct that they need to be in for. All info welcome

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'll have to dyno my slut to see properly, but it's running ok so far. Didn't notice any difference.
I've only back box left cause straight through was too loud for me.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Happy days the louder the better so
You won't be dissapointed with straight through exhaust noise wise, but I'm not sure if this won't affect power delivery :confused2:
I heard and read few times that N/A engines need some back pressure, otherwise your torque will go down, and that's something which is needed in 2.8 anyway.
Opinions anybody?

·
coupe dude
1,040 Posts
Put a decat in the IS its like night and day tbh

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone anymore info on dis before I take out the original system tomorrow. Really lost on dis back pressures stuff nd I thought turbo cars were a pain:confused2: any info needed please

·
Registered
539 Posts
Depends on system your car is running:
If it's Siemens they did not have a coding option for O2 sensors. If they did not have them they logged a code and ran open loop...
In that case you can just unplug. Only difference is slightly increased fuel economy. (Edit: consumption!)

Would need chassis to be sure but you're probably alright

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
I know nothing about BMW
3,038 Posts
Recently decated an e36 its only an IS but there is a slight dip in torque

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it's Siemens they did not have a coding option for O2 sensors. If they did not have them they logged a code and ran open loop...
In that case you can just unplug. Only difference is slightly increased fuel economy. (Edit: consumption!)

In that case you can just unplug. Only difference is slightly increased fuel economy.

What needs to be Siemens the O2 sensors themselves or wat pal. I'll have a look tomorrow as for the chassis number it's WBABG12000ES94863 how do I tell what I have please. Cheers for the info also

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, you have Siemens MS41
It should run ok just disconnecting the sensors. However there is a different flash file that you could program the DME to that it would be same as if it came out of factory without Cat/Sensors.

Sound out for that u r a gent. Nd by DME do ya mean I need to get the ecu reflashed r wat pal learning a lot since I bought dis car nd seems all good so far

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
it'll run fine without the 02 sensors or even the MAF as it'll revert to the default fuel map as Bavariancare explained.

You can flash the ECU then though to make the best of it and also benefit from the gains an M50 inlet, bbtb, good exhaust and things will give you without loosing the torque if you just stuck the inlet and free-flowing exhaust straight onto an engine with a standard map.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers man but hoping to do the M50 mani and bbtb down the line. Would I benefit much gettin the ecu flashed with just an air filter and exhaust r would I be wasting my money till I get the mani and bbtb done. Also I c ure in cork could ya recommend anyone in Munster to flash the ecu nd how much would I expect to pay????

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
yea, should still help by having the remap now as it'll give you abit more of a rev-range and also add bit more power. Will run a little rich alright though.

Probably better off to drive it the way it is now though and then do the other few jobs after a couple of days out with it.

I can do ECU flashing. Actually have an M50 manifold for sale too if your looking for one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sound Dave,wat kinda price on the ecu flashing and how much for the m50 drop me a pm if ya like,alsohave an m20 flywheel there too that needs skimming,how much on that also please

But went to take of the exhaust today nd found most of the nuts ringed to death. Managed to get all but 2 off. Wat is the best way to get these off. Can't get an angle grinder to it due to lack of space,would drillin em out b my best best. And don't want to damage the exhaust as I'd say it was only replaced a few years ago nd would like to sell it on. All info welcome

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I use the oxy-acetylene to get the bolts off. Usually just shear them off first, then heat the manifolds to tap out the studs.

Pm on the way

1 - 17 of 17 Posts