BMW-Driver.net Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Travelling along the N7 at Citywest yesterday evening in the heavy rain. Got passed the first Citywest exit and right where the road kinks, there was the makings of a monster pile up.

I touched the brakes, and used my distance to next car and my gears to slow down. Fine. However, once stopped, I checked rear view mirror and seen that the car behind didn't cop what was going on, or when she did, it was too late. I quickly glanced to the left, seen it was free and moved the nose of my car towards that lane. The car behind me stopped with less than 4-5" to the car that was in front of me!

Point of this thread? Well a couple of friendly reminders:

1) always give yourself that braking distance I had yesterday - sun/rain/hail or snow!

2) always always always use your brakes along with your gearbox to slow you down in a controlled manner

3) pay just as much attention to your rear view mirror as you do to the others

4) you cannot educate gobshite tail gaters until it's too late

The main reason for the close call was a combination of a number of factors including the above points, however the biggie was the huge amount of standing water between lanes 2 & 3 on the N7 at exits 3 and 3a (Citywest & Citywest/Saggart).

Last night was exceptionally bad, so I plan on doing something about it. First stop, well thats where you come in. I am going to make contact with the council on Monday morning - if anyone reading this uses this road regular they will know exactly the stretch I'm talking about. Its plain dangerous and is down to shoddy road building. It was never right. It needs to be drained before you or I have our prides & joy damaged needlessly or worse still you, I or our passengers are badly injured.

So on that, has anyone any contacts in South Dublin Co.Co who will listen? The more people who make contact via email/post or telephone about the same issue on the N7, the more chance we have of having something done about it. I'm actually not going to let it go. Last night was a complete brown trousers moment for me. If I didn't keep my distance nor use my mirrors it is safe to say I would be in hospital this morning and my car in a breakers yard. If I had back seat passengers, I'd dread to think of the outcome.

·
Registered
296 Posts
jesus ... i drove from kerry to clare yesterday, torrential rain all the way, lost count of the amout of people tailgating me , it makes me fucking mad. i dont understand how they think they are going to get to their destination faster by driving so close to the car in front!

dont have expierence of that road myself ciars but there is a stretch of motorway between cashel and cork that has standing water in both lanes for about 20 miles, the rain does not need to be heavy to cause this and its the most dangerous stretch of motorway i have ever driven in rain. something bad is going to happen here someday also ::((

·
Registered
525 Posts
There a couple of nasty spots on the M6, around Moate (coming east from Athlone). IIrc, also around Ballinsloe as well. Just look for the repeatedly fucked armco and marked central concrete fencing where people have lost it.

Agree - a lot of twats out there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts