BMW-Driver.net Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My e63 has the M-Ask display with the brown background. I am reading that the newer version of iDrive has a grey background. A check through Progman shows me that about 12 modules need an update to v39 software at least (possibly an even later version available for it now).
I'm not suggesting that I want to change it just for the background colour!

The reason I want to change it is in the hope that I can support MP3 track IDs from my Dension 500. Also I'm wondering if my integrated Bluetooth would offer more features if it was upgraded.
Anyone done it? How much would a dealer charge to do it? I presume a decent Indy could also do it? I am jus afraid to start something myself using Progman & make a balls of it! (I've no suitable charger anyway!)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi,
Be careful, if a dealer sees the Den unit they may not even proceed...
Also, I'm told that the ISIS checks for the 'module number' and if not OEM BMW then it won't proceed...

You should go to an Autologic equipped Indy or 'fool' the Dealer tool...
E.

·
Registered
451 Posts
How many module are there that can be updated ???
What are the benefits ???
How long is a piece of string??

Being relatively serious, potentially, depending on Spec you can have up to 50 modules...

In practice it's more likely to be 15-25 (depending on history).

I've never managed to get anyone that says BMW 'recommend because'... Why? Surely the men in Munich are not issuing updates for the 'hell of it'...

My own opinion is this;
BMW find faults/errors/warranty issues and 'fix' them in the field with 'optional' software updates...
There never is a problem as far as BMW AG recognises... It's just 'revised' software...

1. If there was a problem then they would have to recall millions of cars (for probably a minor issue) at major cost
2. If there was a problem with initial mapping for example, then they would have 'f''d up in a major way...
3. By saying it's 'revised' it is just a development... Just like Microsoft...

In practical terms, I've had customers who report increases of up-to 5mpg with E90 320d M47N models after update...

Kind Regards,
Eddie.
www.bmwcare.com

PS: (and this is tongue in cheek,) BMW never had a problem with Swirl Flap failure and those engines that were covered under 'goodwill' were because BMW valued their customers and not because of an inherent design flaw and/or defective parts... (now, that would be a recall that would make even Toyota wince and cry)
E.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My last E60 was an LCI model with Pro Nav, factory BT and the latest version of software, my current E60 has Pro Nav, factory BT with original software, both have had Denison 500 units installed, outside of the change of background colour, I couldn't tell you a single difference between the two interfaces.(Obviously a lot more 'M' options on the (i) page on my current car)

Knockin' Shop has had the software updated to grey screen on his pre-LCI E60 with Pro Nav and factory BT unit... maybe when he comes along he'll know the differences....

·
Registered
451 Posts
On average how much is it to update the modules

And how do I know if its been done or not ??
150-300 depending...
You know because you get a report with individual chassis number showing what was done.

As far as I'm aware a dealer can't do that but they can state it. I've an example where a dealer said they did but didn't. Obviously I can't get into that until next year.

Any proper Indy will give you a print out and show you too after it's done.

E.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have read that the M-Ask (Business stereo without Nav) cannot do MP3 or ID3 (track/artist name) tags without an update. That is the principal reason I think I want the update.
I have not yet physically fitted the Dension unit, just doing some research before fitting. I know I am going to have to modify the vehicle VO/FA with +IPOD & +KMP3 with NCS. Also just note that on the "Aux" port there is an On/Off switch for when the car goes in forservice toavoid detection by ISTA or whatever.
My other little plan is to modify the FSW PSW TRC file to activate the digital spedometer so it displays in the OBC in dash pod & SMS on M-ASK screen. Not sure if the sms one will "take" or not.
The "if it ain't broke don't fix it motto" is often the best course of action.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have read that the M-Ask (Business stereo without Nav) cannot do MP3 or ID3 (track/artist name) tags without an update. That is the principal reason I think I want the update.
I have not yet physically fitted the Dension unit, just doing some research before fitting. I know I am going to have to modify the vehicle VO/FA with +IPOD & +KMP3 with NCS. Also just note that on the "Aux" port there is an On/Off switch for when the car goes in forservice toavoid detection by ISTA or whatever.
My other little plan is to modify the FSW PSW TRC file to activate the digital spedometer so it displays in the OBC in dash pod & SMS on M-ASK screen. Not sure if the sms one will "take" or not.
The "if it ain't broke don't fix it motto" is often the best course of action.
All I'll say is be careful...
NCSX only use for coding...
The MP3 update only applies to certain M-ASK or CCC units. Some are not capable...
E.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I managed to add the +KMP3 to the CAS & LMA but the +IPOD would only add to the CAS. I did n't notice anything new in the menus nor was the car able to play an MP3 CD. :( I wonder should I need the dension unit attached inoder to activate the menu item/
On the bright side I managed not to brick anythign despite being after a few beers!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I know now the next step is to modify the .TRC file & save it as a .MAN to flash the ECU to tell the car to enable MP3. I stopped because of the error I got when changing the LMA VO with the +IPOD. But I'm not 100% if I should actually just enable CD Changer instead of IPOD.

Also I wasn't sure about the whole fibre connections, I know they all need to form a loop but my car didn't seem to match any of the options in Dension's guide:

http://www.dension.com/sites/default/files/gateway500mostdualfotinstallguide1.pdf

It is probably closest to Type 3a, no existing CD changer, but I am missing the little connector that joins two fibres together, i.e. butt two fibres end to end. Wish I knew what that connector was called, or better still where to get it. I might have a work around using what I got in my Dension kit.
I have a fibre going in to the controller & one out. From the diagram it looks like I have to remove the fibre going in to the controller (head unit), then use a connector to tie this in to the fibre going "in" to the "car side" of the Dension unit. The fibre coming "out" of the "Car side" then plugs back in to the back of the radio.

I hooked it all up this way & I got a slight stop from the in-dash CD when I powered up the Dension. CDC is set to "activ" & CDC_MP3 is full. See attached FSW_PSW, everything appears to be set correctly in order for this to work.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts