BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I'm a new forum user with a 2004 E46 320D ES Touring with the M47TU2 engine. I had never even heard of Swirl Flaps until about a week ago when my car started to make a horrible 'metallic' sound. It sounded like it was coming from the top of the engine, but I couldn't pinpoint exactly where. Later that same day the car struggled to make it up a hill and then it stalled and I had a terrible time restarting it. I limped it home and put it in the garage and didn't start it again.

At first I thought it was a damaged timing chain but then I started to read up online of the possible causes of such a noise and scared myself! Once I read about swirl flaps I decided to get the inlet manifold off and look for the flaps. To my horror I found that only one of the four was left and it was bent and damaged. So three had fallen off and into the engine!

So I had no choice but to take the head off (some job for an inexperienced owner) and see what damage had been done. It looks like three pistons and three sets of valves have been destroyed and the head needs a skim, but I'm no expert.

I have attached pics of the pistons and cylinder head. 1 and 3 look fecked and I have included close ups of 4 because it looks damaged too. I'd be very grateful if someone with more knowledge than me could advise me what I should do next as I want to repair it.

Has anyone had this happen to them? If so, what did you have to do to fix it? Where did you go to get the head skimmed? Can anyone recommended a place that would be able to do the head work?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would agree with Dane! Theres a lot of these cars being broken for parts, shouldn't be too difficult to find an engine. An engine swap would be a lot less challenging then an engine rebuild IMO :smile:

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Maybe U will be lucky to found good engine ,because they are very rare to get

Would need new piston ,maybe possible to fix cylinder ,but can't see from the pictures it's condition .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

The trouble with getting a good second hand engine is that there doesn't appear to be any near Cavan, I haven't seen a single one in my searches since this happened. Can someone recommend a breaker that would deliver? Or does anyone know of a good 320D engine going for sensible money?

I'd also be worried that I'd be buying someone else's trouble.

Does anyone think that a fix is worthwhile or has anyone fixed an engine with swirl flap damage? I'd hate to think that the best car I have ever owned is now just a pile of scrap!

Also does anyone know a place in or around Cavan/ Meath that does good cylinder head work?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll look into Traynors.

If they don't have anything then I might have a crack at it myself as I just can't bear to see a good car going to waste.

I'll keep you informed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
try railway in balinahinch border motor woks in strabane quarry in n/ards an theres a guy in Belfast harbout at dee street and bru ferris at randlestown they all just break bmws

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll look into Traynors.

If they don't have anything then I might have a crack at it myself as I just can't bear to see a good car going to waste.

I'll keep you informed.
I would probably rebuild the existing engine, at least then you know exactly where you stand, not something I would try myself, probably best to leave it to someone like Valdas who things like this all the time.

·
I know nothing about BMW
3,038 Posts
Family member had their engine let go on them last year. Paid a grand for a new undressed engine and then a grand to have the swap over done. Just to give you an idea of costs. Maybe some more familiar with the e90 will let you know if that was reasonable. I would assume considering the damage to your own and the cost of a full build that this would work out cheaper. The engine was sourced in a large breakers yard in waterford as far as I recall but the name escapes me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would probably rebuild the existing engine, at least then you know exactly where you stand, not something I would try myself, probably best to leave it to someone like Valdas who things like this all the time.
Who is Valdas? A Mechanic?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Family member had their engine let go on them last year. Paid a grand for a new undressed engine and then a grand to have the swap over done. Just to give you an idea of costs. Maybe some more familiar with the e90 will let you know if that was reasonable. I would assume considering the damage to your own and the cost of a full build that this would work out cheaper. The engine was sourced in a large breakers yard in waterford as far as I recall but the name escapes me.
My God! If that's an idea of the costs to get someone else to do it then I'll definitely be doing it myself!

Thanks for the info though.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts