BMW-Driver.net Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
E63 Bmw 645Ci
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any way of sorting scratches in wood trim ??? obviously previous owner threw his keys on the ashtray a lot:mad:

see scratches here

·
Doktor Displacement
4,738 Posts
Can you not just pull it off an replace it with another one from the dealer?

Otherwise polish it the same way you would a scratch in the paint.

Like paint. If the scratch is thorugh the top coat then theres nothing that can be done.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Try a fine rubbling compound and cotten wool?
How deep are they?

Off topic but whats your cup holder?

·
E63 Bmw 645Ci
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
E63 Bmw 645Ci
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you not just pull it off an replace it with another one from the dealer?

il be ringing them in the morning to find out but realoem suggests a replacement ashtray is only available for the Ruthenium (shiney silver) trim otherwise you have to get the full trim kit costing in excess of €1000:eek:

but thats hearsay until i find out tomorrow

·
Registered
1,181 Posts

·
Keep it clean
2,495 Posts
If it is indeed a wood trim ,the top laquer can be polished right back to the wood. and relaquered. Use Fine grade sand paper. And spend some time at it.
Its quite a slow process but the results will have you smiling.

I miss wood class :(

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I don't think it is actually wood trim. I scratched a bit of my trim on my e63 but in a place where you'd never see it unless you were dismantling the dash (between the air vent trim & bigger piece of trim surrounding aircon controls).

I'd say careful fine sanding/polishing on the laquer finish & a respray of the laquer is the only job.

It looks like you cloud be right on the Ruthemheim thing too, screen shot from ETK:

·
Registered
3,998 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
cant you get little filler sticks for wood and then lacquer? You could get a new veneer put on buy a joiner?

try here http://www.formwood.com/veneerexotic.html

I would try polish it first, take it all the way back to the veneer, then re-varnish the veneer with coloured varnish and then lacquer. If you make a mess of it then you in no worse a position than you are at the moment. It would make a tasty diy. A French polisher would be able to help I would say and something that small would only cost a few quid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts