BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some help here
Car was showing zero miles remaining on Tues night, so I threw in 20 Euro of petrol and drove about ½ mile back home. It sounded slightly peculiar and didnt seem to be running properly, but I assumed maybe as it had gone so low it was a bit of dirt?? Anyway, it was about 11pm and dark, so I pulled in home and left it.

Today I started it up and its running very very rough. I have to rev it to about 2500/3000 rpm to keep it running. Once I drop revs slightly, she cuts out right away.

While I'm revving it, the smoke from the exhaust is unreal!! Very thick dark smoke. Couldn't really say it's blue. More black than blue possibly, but definitely not a white smoke.

Also, after revving it for a while and very slowly easing the throttle off, it will barely tick over, but I looked under bonnet and seems to be smoke blowing around the engine also. Can't pinpoint where it's coming from.

Now the one thing that is making me wonder here, is the smell of the smoke. Even though I haven't driven diesel for years, it definitely reminds me of a diesel smell and not petrol fumes, but then again it could be a very bad petrol (unburnt) mix.

I am wondering what the symptoms would be if diesel was put into a petrol engine or if it sounds like that?

I really can't see how I would have. For one, the nozzle wouldn't fit surely, and two, I opened the filler cap and can't even get a hint of diesel smell. It's definitely a strong petrol smell.

I am totally stumped here and at a loss as to what could be wrong. Would really appreciate any feedback or even checks to rule other faults in or out?

By the way, it's a 01 520i Auto (M34 2.2)

·
I'm a 2 wheel man really
2,180 Posts
Put it this way its better than putting petrol in a diesel, you're lucky in that way if that is what you did....sounds like its defo diesel in there, drain the tank or brim her to the top with petrol and see how you get on....or if you want to make sure take out fuel pipe to fuel pump or filter and have a sniff

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Sounds exactly like ya have diesel oin it alright. dont run it too much more or you can damage the cat.
drain her and refil as said above. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about delay with reply but was trying to get this sorted

Long story short, it turned out it WAS a diesel issue
Seems the service station had problems with diesel in the petrol tanks

Anyway, they took the car back and loaned me a car until it was sorted.
Last Tuesday they contacted me to say the car was done, so I went down to collect it. Hopped in to drive away and the orange engine light was lit, so I ran back in and told them and they couldn't explain why and then said maybe it was because they connected a booster pack to it?
I explained that the battery was perfect and NEVER needed a boost before and they said that the constant turning over to flush the fuel through the system ran the battery down? They also told me that the car was fine and "not to worry" about the orange light. I agreed that I would at least take it for now but wanted the light sorted.

Then I left the garage and as I pulled out on to the main road and accelerated, I could hear a very low frequency hum from the car. Thought maybe it was tyres on some odd surface at first, slowed down, went up the road a bit and again once I accelerated I heard the noise, so I immediately went back and told them.

The service guy hopped into the car with me, and we drove up the road. He said he could hear "A noise" which was probably the noise I was referring to, and could only describe it as an exhaust note. I agreed that yes, it was an exhaust note, but had never been in it before. Long story short, he said that noise could have always been there and that diesel in the tank would not have caused it.

Decided at that stage that I wouldn't accept car back and told him I wasn't happy until they sorted it out. They rang yesterday evening and said that the car was sorted and herself has just been down to collect it. Service guy said they sorted the engine light. She asked about the noise and he said that they hadn't done anything about that because as far as they were concerned, that noise might have always been there.

She then insisted on seeing the owner, who drove the car out the road with her and said that he could hear the noise she was describing, but also said that it could have been there all along and that ultimately, "a drop of diesel in the petrol tank couldn't cause that"

So after a lot of discussion, she agreed to take the car back but said we would have it checked and if we can find out the issue and show it is related to this whole incident, that we would return it to them to let them either repair it, or sort the repair with a BMW dealer.

Now, what I am looking for here is some advice or suggestions on what this could be.
The car starts fine, it ticks over fine and it even revs fine with no odd noises from exhaust, but once I accelerate any decent amount when driving, the noise cuts in. Logic would say it's related to the drive rather than the engine, but it definitely sounds like a very low booming sound from the exhaust. Any suggestions, or even better, anybody here come across this before and maybe know exactly what the issue is

By the way, this sound was DEFINITELY never there before, or anything even like it, so I know for a fact it has happened since the diesel was introduced into the engine, whether it was caused by that, or while they were working on it I can't say?

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
I cant imagine much damage has been done due to the wrong fuel. But just on the safe side I'd check the cat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drove car for about 20 miles and it drove fine although the noise was still there
Can only hear it @2,500 rpm when accelerating, but nothing when at that rpm while stopped
Drove 20 miles back and just as I was almost home, the car started to shudder and lose power and idle dropped to about 400rpm and it's seriously misfiring and there is an awful strong smell of something burning/overheating which makes me wonder about the cat.
Contacted them again and we have agreed that I will get the car tested in the morning, both plugged in to check for faults, and test the emissions and hopefully will find out if it's cat related or maybe injectors or something

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Fuel pump and fuel injectors and Fuel Filter would be my guesses. Personally I would change all of these in your situation.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But would any of those cause this new sound in the exhaust?
It basically sounds like a bad blowing exhaust but what I don't understand is the noise isn't there when it's stationary

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Am i right in understanding they cranked the car to empty the tank? That will take forever and is very bad for the starter.
What was the orange light?

They probably disconnected something, be it coils or whatever to prevent the car from starting while they were cranking it. that could be why there was a light.

As far as diagnosing the problem though, its next to impossible without being stuck into it. :)

Could the droning noise be related to the air intake by any chance? It can sound like that, particularly up in the revs and can be something as simple as a split hose or even a hose not reattached properly.
Does the noise happen if you rev the car up while standing still? or only when its moving?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They told me that they cranked it to run the fuel out. I don't know whether they mean the whole €20 worth, or the last drop in the system, but I vaguely remember somebody saying something to me about "these new modern cars can't just be drained through a bung"!

The orange light I got no explanation for. They just had it reset for me and that was it :(

The noise could be due to air intake possibly. Thought about a loose hose or disconnected hose myself, but the problem is, the sound is not there when it's standing still. It can only be heard when accelerating while moving

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the noise is sorted!
Opened bonnet and the fu**ing air filter box was open with about a half inch gap!!!
On one side I'm annoyed I didn't look in sooner, but on the other side, a car dealership told me that none of their lads can work out what the issue might be!!

Anyway, off to get the readings done now
Noise totally gone, but still running very badly and misfiring and vibrates as I accelerate

On a side note, I see my thermostat housing is leaking. What's the story with these? Was there an aluminium replacement or where is best place to buy?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Well the noise is sorted!
Opened bonnet and the fu**ing air filter box was open with about a half inch gap!!!
On one side I'm annoyed I didn't look in sooner, but on the other side, a car dealership told me that none of their lads can work out what the issue might be!!

Anyway, off to get the readings done now
Noise totally gone, but still running very badly and misfiring and vibrates as I accelerate

On a side note, I see my thermostat housing is leaking. What's the story with these? Was there an aluminium replacement or where is best place to buy?
lol, That's exactly what i thought it was going to be. Did they leave it like that? if so, they must be a right gang of wally's not only to make the mistake, but to not be able to find the problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm following up here as there is nothing more annoying than googling an issue and finding a thread and the OP never comes back to let anybody know!! Sorry for the delay!

Anyway, turned out the diagnostics pointed to a misfire on cylinder 1 and the guy reckoned it was a coil issue. I swapped coils around and everything pointed to coil. Got a new one, after about a week of receiving incorrect versions!! Fitted that and misfire gone. He then ran the emissions test again and all was fine

So it turns out the diesel in the petrol although fairly troublesome, in this case, didnt cause any damage that I can see!

Next job........ Viscous fan coupling (bearing is very bad), idler pulley replacement (sounds like bearing gone here also), belt replacement, water pump replacement & thermostat housing/thermostat replacement.

Am I leaving anything out here??
Also, where is the best (cheapest) place to get a viscous fan coupling, thermostat housing with stat, water pump and idler pulley??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts