BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I could have bought one of those iPods for €240 before xmas but passed on it and then screen Nav would have to have been fitted then

·
Quattro Representative
2,187 Posts
looks very nice and integrated although not 100% sure on video quality on a bigger screen when compressed for the ipod.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
@ Ken, I've noticed a few times now you've mentioned retrofitting the SAT NAV????

Rich.

richie_rvf

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I'm going to give it a go at some stage alright - thinking of going for the VDO Dayton system that clips into the console in front of the gear lever though - FAR cheaper than the 16:9 setup...

But if the full standard system comes up on eBay cheap, I'll go for it - am happy enough stripping the car at this stage.

·
Registered
317 Posts
That looks sweet! It's amazing how cars here are fast becoming an extension to home entertainment with massive hard drives of music/video in such small players which integrate so nicely to the car. I'd love to have the above in the car but it would be a killer when it comes to time to sell the car...

Good links Niall - we can rely on you to keep us up to date here on techno-gadgetry!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm going for the Denison system that Rich has. Allows you to use your headunit and is compatible with your steering wheel controls. I think I'm going to explore the possibility of concealing the ipod in the armrest.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
I would LOVE to fit the 16:9 or a good alternative, I would also prefer to have it mounted lower in the console.

Realistically it will cost a bit, any guess-timates??

I would imagine it should be easy to get your i-pod video to work on any screen, you can buy connectors to display the contents on your tv at home...

Rich.

richie_rvf

·
Registered
317 Posts
@Ken The VDO is a far more realistic price unless as you say lotto numbers come up!! But how does it compare to a TomTom for example? I am thinking of getting some sort of Navigation but like the idea of it being portable and therefore useable in other cars.
Is the VDO obstructed by the gear stick though? It would be preferable to have it down low though where it's a bit more discrete.

@Richie I might just opt for the Dension IceLink as you mentioned. There must be a way to get it into the armrest or console below the arm rest without too much difficulty? Could this be the start of a group buy?!!

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Haven't seen one fitted to be honest - so not sure if it'd be obstructed or not. Guess you can visualise it pretty easily though - thats where your ashtray and sunglass holder is, so if you can see them, you'll be able to see the VDO. Have seen them going for €200 on eBay - a brand new DVD version is €1500 or so though. Plus point is that you can add a TV tuner or other external source to most versions of them. The new sections for the dash are €200 or so from BMW. Not sure how it compares to any other system, being honest I usually know where I'm going, so I'd only be fitting it for the sake of it!

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
E46 fanatics have a good link to fitting the Denison ice-link, some of the guys fitted the i-pod in the arm-rest, others in the space above the ash tray and others left it in the glove box, that's the one I prefer, when you can control the i-pod through the steering wheel there is no point in taking up valuable space elsewhere.

One of the guys from Denison is very very helpful, Tom, he will get back to you on any questions, I contacted him throught the E46fanatics site, I will look for the links and post later,

@ Ken, that VDO set up look really good to me, I think I would go for that one.

I'd better count up how much money I am going to need for all these mods!!

Anyone know if it is possible to retro-fit heated seats??

Rich.

richie_rvf

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
email: [email protected]
web: www.europeanautosource.com

after a quick search it appears that Tom has moved to another company.......

Quote from Tom "We are going to offer lots of items, both iPod and non-iPod related for BMW platforms. I still work very closely with Dension and am heavily involved with their support team as well as field-testing.

If you have any questions relating to the ice>link Plus, feel free to ask."

Maybe he might offer a discout to our group??

Rich.

richie_rvf

1 - 17 of 17 Posts