BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

13741 - 13760 of 13797 Posts

·
Keep it clean
2,495 Posts
Ok so I finally got round to fitting the short shorter to the mini today and have hit a wall. The ball joint on the bottom of the gear stick WILL NOT come off. Any ideas anyone.
This one im touching in the photo
Very hard to tell which piece you are talking about because your fingers are in the way.

If it is the ball joint that keeps the shifter adhered to the vehicle itself then its a plastic bearing joint that has a number of clips around its circumfurence, these have to be pressed in with flat head screwdriver and the bearing twisted till it pops loose from its location.

Might need someone to give you a hand.

Full details and images of same here

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/MINI/26-TRANS-Installing_a_Short_Shift_Kit/26-TRANS-Installing_a_Short_Shift_Kit.htm

·
I hate having no car :(
1,732 Posts
It's the ball joint on the shifter cable. The pelican parts guide says to pull it with channel lock pliers but it's not coming off

·
Keep it clean
2,495 Posts
It's the ball joint on the shifter cable. The pelican parts guide says to pull it with channel lock pliers but it's not coming off

Now, pop the cable ends off the ball joints. For the cable on the side, you can use a 14mm open end wrench in between the cable end and the ball joint to pry it off to the side (yellow arrow) The other cable end is a bit harder to remove because of the rotation of the shift lever and also as it's difficult to find a fulcrum point to pry it off. I grabbed the cable end with some channel locks and gave it a good tug downward (green arrow). Once both cable ends are free, use the channel locks to pull the two cable retaining clips down and off (purple arrows).

·
1,732 Posts
Did everything but the green arrow. Gonna have to put it on a ramp in work. And try again. Had the car over a foot off the ground today so I had plenty of room to grab hold of it still no joy.
Very frustrating

·
1,732 Posts
I'm built for speed lads not power :). I'll get her on a ramp and get it done.
Cheers :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Had the (sound) lads at The Tyre Brigade in Athlone playing with combinations of spacers over the last few days. Settled on 15s on the rear and standard up front. Gave it a wash and a wax when I got it home. Love the stance, very happy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nothing major, just fitted new tailgate struts (so nice having the threat of decapitation removed) and gave her a good 'ol clean....! Also picked up a couple of packets of doorcard clips. €4 per pack from A&D on Cromwellsfort road. Little things make me sooo happy. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ordered a spare key for the E36 tourer from Frank Keane and picked it up yesterdayQUOTE]

How much was your second key if don't mind me asking?
Don't mind at all. €48 for a standard blank, I think it was €55 for the one with the little light on the fob. Autokey place at Newlands wanted €100...!!!!!!

·
1,732 Posts
TA DA!!!!
Short shifter fitted.
Much easier when you have a ramp and a Mercedes workshop at your disposal :).

Great little mod. The gear change feel really mechanical and much shorter. A bit like the DC2 intergra which is pretty high praise :).

·
1,732 Posts
Temperature went very slightly over half way last night during some docile driving. Only changed the coolant recently so I fitted a new thermostat which I got in Duffys as they had one in stock. A few burps from the system later and All is well with the world again.
Oh and got a good deal on some part worn potenzas for a mate.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I repaired a dent on the driver's door of my 318ci which is up for sale next month, and transferred my reconditioned steering wheel I got from Royal to the 330ci. Had to do some major modding of the wheel to take the SMG paddles but once it was modded it didn't look too bad at all, you'd never know it's a non-SMG wheel!

Attachments

13741 - 13760 of 13797 Posts