BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im looking to buy a dslr in harvey normans, mainly cause with the flexirent its good insurance!
was going to spend about 1200euro, but along with the camera i want to get a decent lense too..was in talking to the salesman and he was reccomending the canon 600d and with the 18-55mm...and then buy the sigma 10-20mm lense..reason i want the lense is that i plan on using it for wedding photos, so need a decent lense for group shots and all that..also theres some pretty amazing places down here for pictures that would look great with a wide lense..
was looking on the site there the 600d is 599 and the sigma is 550..
but then see the 60d is 800/850..for the extra 250 would it be worth getting that..in the long run i know id prob want to upgrade so better to just get a better one?
or what other lense could i buy, wouldnt have to be from harvey normans if i was gettin the 650d as tahts the budget id be paying on the flexirent..
so any reccomendations would be welcome :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
no idea what the flexirent is but regarding wide angle lens for group shots be careful not to go to wide as the lens become fish eye-like and the people become very distorted which is not very flattering or natural. Also id be looking at nothing more than f2.8 speed lenses as the nature of weddings you'll be shooting in low light and need every f-stop you can get. Depending on how big you are going to print your finished pics or the amount of detail you need all professionals will use full frame camera's. Honestly you'd be doing really well to escape with one camera and a lens to professionally cover weddings. I suppose its down to what you think your clients would accept as a finished product and what your competition can produce.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well its just for my wedding..herselfs brother i some good famy.oness fairly handy at cameras so.was going.to.get one for it..were not too bothered about crazy photos..mainly just want some decent family pics..so as long as I have a decent camera they should be ok...dont knkw too much about f stops..have been wanting to learn aboit photography for a good while now so thought this was a good excuse to do more..
What lense would be a good one that youd reccomend?and wod you try go for the 60d over the 600d?

·
Registered
175 Posts
ok makes more sense, i really cant make the call for someone else whether nikon is better than canon. I prefer the high end nikon lenses so i went for Nikon after being with leica before that. People usually start with a brand and stick with it because the money theyve invested already in the rand, so i guess choose wisely. check out ken rockwell's website for reviews

·
herp derp
272 Posts
Don't worry about the camera body when starting off. Honestly, any recent body should be more than good enough. The lenses are where it's at.
Try to get a loan of a camera and borrow or rent a couple of the lenses you're interested in. If you find a set you like then start spending money.

·
herp derp
272 Posts
Never heard of flexirent til now. Yeah, don't touch it. When I say rent I mean go to the likes of Conns cameras and rent a camera and/or lenses for a week or two.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
will have to look into it all a bit more!!theres a hell of a lot of stuff out there!
i doubt ill be able to rent one..live too far away from civilisation to be up with that kinda stuff :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
buy a second hand 24-105 f4L, second hand 5d, and whatever flash you can with balance of funds....

if you can't get that far on 1200, then I'd go for

second hand 50mm f1.4, second hand 5D and whatever flash the balance will buy....

you can't shoot a wedding right without a flash....

·
Registered
274 Posts
As Donal says, don't shoot weddings with an ultra wide, unless you want your subjects to have noses like Concorde.

You will also need a lot of experience and practice before even thinking about shooting weddings. It's not that easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts