BMW-Driver.net Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those that arent on 8er forums, these come up from time to time, mostly made by Koenig (there is a Zeemax kit too, but not as nice IMO):

Apparently the widebody kit is like EUR12k from Koenig, if they still made it. Looks best on dark colours IMO.
How feasible would it be to get something like this fabricated? I dont support there is a suitable donor car to get molds off (e31 or otherwise)...

·
Doktor Displacement
4,738 Posts
Those Koenig kits are shockingly bad. You can see from those photos that it doesnt even fit. And even worse on a super rare, 1 of 1500 850 CSI!

In answer to your question. It would be near impossible to make an exact replica of the Koenig kit without the original moulds or another car to cast moulds from.

It would be as handy to come up with your own design. But you're into big money even if you could do this sort of work yourself.

And I'd say it would cost more than the car is worth.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those Koenig kits are shockingly bad. You can see from those photos that it doesnt even fit. And even worse on a super rare, 1 of 1500 850 CSI!
Go on then, like where in the photo? :p
The e31 (stock or otherwise) is funny in the way some panels look in photos anyhow, I think they always look a bit funky, especially around the lower bumper to headlamp area and rear lower bumper.

The Zeemax kit is a bit more free flowing, but IMO I prefer the chunky slightly angular alternative. Zeemax Widebodies:

Im still not sold on the rarity of the CSi, there are at least 4 of them in Ireland alone while there was only one of my last car (Phaeton V10). I know what you mean though, some times you see aweful tack on a car and think the OEM original is a lot nicer.. but othertimes you just want to have a bit of fun. :D

·
Doktor Displacement
4,738 Posts
Go on then, like where in the photo? :p

Im still not sold on the rarity of the CSi, there are at least 4 of them in Ireland alone while there was only one of my last car (Phaeton V10). I know what you mean though, some times you see aweful tack on a car and think the OEM original is a lot nicer.. but othertimes you just want to have a bit of fun. :D
Second foto from the top of the page. Where the wing meets the front bumper. Even I could fit my fat fingers into that gap!

I've only seen 3 CSI's in Ireland. Yours, the black left hand rive one in Louth and another from the Derry/Donegal direction.

Theres a good reason why a V10 Pheaton is rare! Because people are'nt that daft! :p

A CSI is rare becasue they were only made in very limited numbers.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Jaysus, the fit couldn't be that bad surely. Even Leepu could do better than that. It looks more like accident damage to me that has been left unfixed. And whats happened to the kidney grilles, are they all one?

PS. I stand corrected on close inspection on the first pic, the black one it looks the same....that's a shame!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Second foto from the top of the page. Where the wing meets the front bumper. Even I could fit my fat fingers into that gap!
Yeah, well spotted, in a way the panel flare there looks too oversized, its floating. Thats a difference with the ZeeMax kit, they dont make the arch flare, they just provide the mesh which is has to be made by your own bodyshop. So some of them could look tight, others not so.

Here is 2 more Koenig shots where that gap isnt as bad (to those without E31s, that black rubber band is meant to be there, its not designed as a gapless panel join):

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=363587&d=1294379277

I think if it was toned back a notch, this look could have passed as an "M8".

·
Cosmos Black 840Ci Sport
124 Posts
there was a nice wide body 840 ci for sale on piston heads last year , it was either boston or Barbados Green i cant find any pics of it , it looked well in the pics .

Id love to find a Dakar yellow E31 for sale (cheap) in the future , i love the colour of the below car but not so happy with the black on it ?????

Attachments

Reactions: 5Series

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Id love to find a Dakar yellow E31 for sale (cheap) in the future , i love the colour of the below car but not so happy with the black on it ?????
Yeah I like Yellow cars too, though I prefer stronger yellows like Wokkes on Bimmerforums (posted a snow picture of it). Id say it looks well in person though.

The blacked out look is one of these things on paper (black + yellow) should look better than the execution turned out IMO..

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
there was a nice wide body 840 ci for sale on piston heads last year , it was either boston or Barbados Green i cant find any pics of it , it looked well in the pics .

+ 1 on the Dakar yellow. I like black wheels on some cars but would never be brave enough to execute on my own. I don't think they suit the E31 at all and I don't like the blacked out lights either.

·
You looking at me
492 Posts
+2 on the Dakar one and agree too much black ruins it.

The pics look good apart from the gaping slits, but I'd need to see one on the flesh so to speak.

·
Cosmos Black 840Ci Sport
124 Posts
That is'nt Dakar Yellow.

Think that car has been repainted with a non bmw colour. As I've never seen it before.

This is Dakar Yellow:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2131625.htm

But yes. Yellow and black is hard to beat. We've been genetically programmed to be afraid of those 2 colour combined. :D

Im not looking to stir shite Johnb850 but there was two shades of Dakar yellow available on the E31 , the numbers were 337 & 267 .

you may not have seen the colour before but that dont mean bmw didnt paint the car with it , no one on this forum can say they have seen EVERY colour in the bmw collection in the flesh on a car its just not possible .

the colour you call Dakar yellow is 337 this was used for e31 production in 1996 , 97 , 98 and 99 , the colour of the car in my original pic is 267 used for e31 production 1993 , 94 and 95 , i like both colours and have posted pics of an e31 titled Dakar Yellow painted 337 before .

·
Doktor Displacement
4,738 Posts
Im not looking to stir shite Johnb850 but there was two shades of Dakar yellow available on the E31 , the numbers were 337 & 267 .

you may not have seen the colour before but that dont mean bmw didnt paint the car with it , no one on this forum can say they have seen EVERY colour in the bmw collection in the flesh on a car its just not possible .

the colour you call Dakar yellow is 337 this was used for e31 production in 1996 , 97 , 98 and 99 , the colour of the car in my original pic is 267 used for e31 production 1993 , 94 and 95 , i like both colours and have posted pics of an e31 titled Dakar Yellow painted 337 before .
Appologies.

I didnt know there was 2 Dakar Yellows.

Cant blame me. There was only 18 made in that colour. Most people associate Dalar Yellow 337 with the E36 M3.

Check this out

http://www.8coupe.com/Colors/ColorSummary.aspx

@ Vultch. Only 33 Romantic Red E31's worldwide! :cool:

·
You looking at me
492 Posts
There is still something very very sexy in the 8's shape... (yes I'm biased).

The exaggerated wheel archs do look good giving her a more aggressive stance but yes as mattsimis says "lose the rear spoiler.."

·
Registered
1 Posts

It is still up and go in Norway.
Vehicle Plant Car Tire Wheel

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

1 - 18 of 18 Posts