BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dublin
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no grasp of games consoles, however my 6 year old and four year old boys have my head wrecked trying to enlighten me! Basically for kids of this age what is the best route to take with the three main players? They seem to want interactivity, not sure of what sort.... must be WiFi (don't know why!) so if anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it! BTW I'm not a luddite I just have no gaming experience!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Rob.

·
I hate having no car :(
1,732 Posts
Get them a PS3. the online gaming is free and it has everything the Xbox has all the good games come out on both consoles too. The wii is only good at drinken parties:D other than that its shite.

·
Dublin
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get them a PS3. the online gaming is free and it has everything the Xbox has all the good games come out on both consoles too. The wii is only good at drinken parties:D other than that its shite.
Thanks Joey :confused:

Has the PS3 got all of their required features? I've been looking on Pixmania... What about 'Done Deal', eBay or Buy and Sell????

·
1,732 Posts
Yeah it has wifi, bluetooth controllers, blu ray, and a heap of memory. pretty good for surfing the net too. Buy one of the newer one's as they have have all the updates and its smaller unit too.

·
Always Confused
116 Posts
Defo the PS3-far superior.You can watch movies and store them as well as music and pictures.Online gaming is free and good craic.

Whatever you buy dont buy an expensive HDMI lead...their is no difference between a €10 one and a €100 one.

·
1,732 Posts
+1 just grab a lead in power city for 8 euro:D

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
For kids of 6 and 4 the wii might be the better option (plus you can mod them and download the games for free if you are that way inclined). The only thing is Nintendo are going to be releasing a new console soon. I have a PS3 myself and use it all the time, but I think the games are more geared towards teenagers/adults than kids.

·
E63 Bmw 645Ci
4,576 Posts
have a PS3 and an X-Box and way prefer the xbox im a convert :eek: i have owned playstation 1 and 2 and 3 but the xbox is the winner for me took a while to get used to if your used to the playstation but IMHO its a far superior console for gaming , if you want it for dvds etc the ps3 would be better though

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Xbox for me personally, Its not as powerful as the PS3 in some ways but overall its a better gaming machine. Xbox online is where its at and they do it a lot better than Sony do.

As said above though, The Wii is really just a doss console when your havin a few jars or whatever.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have had all the playstations and never thought I would own a xbox. But when i got a xbox I would never go back to a playstation. The new xbox has the wifi and runs very quite plus the online is MUCH better than the playstation. Sure it is 45 euro for the year of online membership but it is worth it.

Plus I think the xbox is much more suited to your kids ages, Nice colorful dashboard and very easy to use. I found the playstation dashboard very dull and boring and found some things harder to set up on the playstation.

I picked up my new xbox a few weeks back for 270(I think). That was the slimline 250g with gears of war 3(epic game) and a extra controller.

Dont get a wii though, Anyone I know that has one does not use it.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have a ps3 and a wii, and never had any inclination about that xbox. Probably because they require too much for you to spend when you can get the same thing with the ps3. Also with the hardware specifications, ps3 almost beats it in every aspect aside from some minor components.

Though there would be a new version of the wii coming out in just a few so if you would want that, you might as well wait for the new one.
Hardware wise, the PS3 defo wins but that means nothing to most people. Sonys online play doesn't have a patch on the Xbox community and comparing them simply on cost is inaccurate. You get a far more reliable service and larger community with the xbox and thats what matters to most these days. :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Horses for courses

Xbox 360 has integrated wireless N standard
Has Kinnect for interactivity with no hand controllers required (great for kids)
Has as many games as PS3
It does not have blu ray
It costs €45 per annum for online access
Does support HDMI

PS3 currently has free online (this may change)
has Blu ray (big advantage)
Interactivity is not as hot as xbox or for that matter Wii
Has a broad range of games
Has HDMI
Has Wireless

The Wii I would simply discount. We have it and to be honest the Xbox wins every time.

Game prices are roughly the same. Each console type has exclusive game titles . This can be a problem for kids with their mates. What I would do in this case is find out what there mates have and match it. that way they can share games and so on...

Anyway there you go.

Goodbob

·
!"£$%^&*
850 Posts
have a PS3 and an X-Box and way prefer the xbox im a convert :eek: i have owned playstation 1 and 2 and 3 but the xbox is the winner for me took a while to get used to if your used to the playstation but IMHO its a far superior console for gaming , if you want it for dvds etc the ps3 would be better though
I'd agree totally. I have both and I never use the ps3, if they want it for online play the ps3 is the way to go becuase its free and you don't have to worry about subscriptions.

I get more cramps in my hands from the ps3 controller though, this might be good thing if you want to keep them off it :D

I think the xbox is a better machine and I only bought it for forza but ended up being my favourite console.

They probably arn't old enough yet but you can hack the ps3 and download games onto its hard drive. i got one of the lads to do this for me. Downsides of it are it isn't straightforward to put the games on the ps3 and you can't use online play anymore because sony will lock the console. free games might factor into it though if you had interest yourself.

·
///Member
1,966 Posts
It doesn't matter PS3 v Xbox, just don't buy a Wii... I've had a PS3 since launch and the 360 for longer than that. I prefer the 360 because of Forza, Gears of War and just being generally better online. I'd say buy a PS3 with Little Big Planet, any kids (and adults) would love that game

·
7 no more
537 Posts
ps3 would be my choice
free online play
bluray player
media player (just stick almost any movie on external usb and off you go)
i think its even crackable now for free games

ps - hdmi cable is only 2 eur in 2euro shop

·
7 no more
537 Posts
and wii is nice only in 2 (or more) player modes. its fun but its worth only as a second console

1 - 17 of 17 Posts