BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Inspect-Correct-Perfect
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were ever wondering how long it takes to do a complete interior detail of a 7-seat (leather) X5, well try 9 hours!

Here's the beast. The family who own this X5 have given me a couple of their other cars for complete interior and exterior details but they saved the best for last with this one. I was told it was in a bit of a state. The next time I say "I love a challenge" I'm going to bite my lip. LOL! ;)

Quite messy and as you can see, not just surface dirt. Melted sweets and crisps and spilled drinks, etc. I began by using HP air to blow the gunk out of the many corners and gaps in the interior.

All the removable rubber compartment liners were taken out for deep steam cleaning with G101 to boost the cleaning power.

1 part PERL to 3 parts Water sprayed on and allowed to dry in.

Same for the other bits... ICKY!!

You might have seen the seat cleaning in another thread... they were in a state!!

50/50's show the challenge best!!

Dashboard got a deep cleaning...

Along with the vents etc

Everywhere there could be dirt had lots of it!! It took me a minute to find where this was as when the seats were being put up and down, mysterious crumbs and crap kept appearing!!

Mats were vacuumed, shampoo soil extraction & steam cleaned.

Finished results for the interior...

Those air-fresheners were indeed snipped and thrown out!!

The next morning saw a good start on the exterior but there were a few dents and dings that needed proper professional attention from Paul at Autodent.ie. He's great - a real master of PDR.

My prepping went as it usually does. Full Paint Detox, Tar removed with Tar X, wheels cleaned with Cleancar.ie Very Cherry and decontaminated with Iron X Cleaner and Iron X Paste on the stubborn brakedust deposits :

Got the car inside in time for a break so I did an Interior Anti Bacterial Treatment just to finish the job. Basically, it fills the interior with a smoke that contains particles so miniscule that it permeates everywhere, killing any lurking bacteria and neutralising anything that could cause a whiff!

From here on, I didn't take many photos as I had a huge task polishing all that paint! Here's the condition and one progress shot of the swirls and polishing....

Three after shots. If you check the clock on the back wall you will see how late it was.

The X5 was coated in CQuartz. Interior was coated with an acrylic latex sealant and the carpet was protected with a stain resistant coating as well. Full Vehicle Protection!

Thanks for reading and for getting this far! That was one of my most intense details for the sheer scale of the task. Ironically, that's when I get most fed-up taking photos!! Have to hire myself a photographer:D

Any questions, please fire away. :)
Kind regards,
Brian

·
E39 525i M-Sport
417 Posts
Smashing work man :cool:

·
Inspect-Correct-Perfect
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great job as usual Brian , when did you get into the dent removal , is it expensive ??? Can it be done on any panel ???
Hi Davy,
I get Paul from Autodent.ie. It can be done on any panel but its "where" on the panel and the severity of the ding that determine the price. For example, on a previous car Paul removed a ding but it took a while and cost €100 because of the location. On the X5 here, he removed three easier dings for about the same price.

I highly recommend him for both the work and the fact that he is extremely helpful and professional.

are you re-dying them seats brian or just cleaning them ?
Both! I use a very good polyurethane dye, very like the original coat that Wollsdorf Leder use (major tannery that BMW purchase from). For bad cracks I use a sort of filler/binder before colouring.
My cleaning service is more like Leather Preserving because I use special products to "balance" the leather under the topcoat. I don't use conditioners though and actually recommend that people don't use them.
Edit : Not sure what if you meant that, but on this car I only gave them a deep cleaning.

I have to Get up to you some Day Brian for some Tips on various techniques, Ill Give ya a good days Graft in Return ;)
A good days Graft AND a breakfast roll!! Cheek! :p

No problem, Feens. See you soon.

·
Inspect-Correct-Perfect
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That really is something else with the seats. How do you clear out the vents like that?
5-bar,160 degree dry vapour steam to kill the bacteria. I spray it through all the vents around the dash and the ones under the front seats. :)
Cheers.
Brian

·
E63 Bmw 645Ci
4,576 Posts
5-bar,160 degree dry vapour steam to kill the bacteria. I spray it through all the vents around the dash and the ones under the front seats. :)
Cheers.
Brian
5 Bar :eek::eek::eek: bloody hell ur lucky it doesnt go through the seat :D

·
Inspect-Correct-Perfect
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
5 Bar :eek::eek::eek: bloody hell ur lucky it doesnt go through the seat :D
LOL haha. Its not quite like that. Your average pressure washer works at about 80 to 100 bar so my steamer is pretty safe at 5.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts