BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi Chris,

On my car, I have one of those dongle keys that is inserted and then I have to press the start button. I presume in my case, its just a matter on inserting the dongle key and this will activate/prime the fuel pump as if I was going to start the car.
Successfully changed the fuel filter.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi lads,

I changed both the fuel and air filter last night.

Notable improvement, but I'll know for sure on my drive home when I hit traffic and hit more of the 1500-2000 rev range.

I am planning on cleaning the MAF also to help restore it since there seems to a film/coating of oil/greece/grim on it. At least from what I can see through the tiny little holes on the plastic protecting the sensor.

My plan is to spray Halfords Electrical Contact Cleaner on it.
Link to product below.
http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_195717_langId_-1_categoryId_212351

This wont do any harm to the sensor, right?

thanks again for all the input.
Will.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just an update.

I am booked in to BMW for Wednesday afternoon for a diagnostic scan.

Told me it could take a few hours and may involve extra time.

Price for scan is 120 plus vat.

Buying a autel scanner myself from beatthegarage (ebay) today. No harm to have in the future.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
any update on this??
Not yet, I'm booked in today at BMW for a scan.

I don't think I'll receive my own scanner until the end of the week.

I didn't notice the hesitation at the lower gears yesterday. Perhaps the Wynn's Diesel Injector Protector (silver bottle) may have helped a little.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_216139_langId_-1_categoryId_212351

Though when I mentioned it to BMW Monday, they gave out to me for using it!

Can't find the link now, but I was reading on a post yesterday about someone who had the same/similar symptoms and used the following:

http://www.ecotek.eu/powerboosthelp.htm

He was saying that BMW said the head had to come off his engine to clean carbon build up in cylinder 1, the one beside the egr. So he took a chance with this powerboost product.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Nothing to report yet.

BMW rang this evening saying they want the car again tomorrow.

Diagnostic showed no problems.

Said they took it for test drive and found nothing until they where returning to garage. And now know what I was referring to.

Hopefully they will tell me the answer tomorrow and not give me a huge bill just the let me know the problem!

I'll report back tomorrow.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Hi lads,

Heres the result.

No faults showed up on the diagnostic scan except for 3 glowplugs.

That of course has nothing to do with the symptoms.

He did ask also if she was chipped, as another fault or reading suggested she was over boosting. She is not chipped.

I got them to replace all 4 glowplugs, examine the manifold and do the diagnostic scan which totaled 463 euro. Pricey, given I could have done the plugs myself. But felt it was better to get their opinion on the SWIRL flaps when manifold was off.

I was told when they took off manifold there was an actuator that controls the SWRIL flap arm that was broke off. The mechanic in fairness said he had a spare one and replaced it for free.

What I will say, is I didn't notice any hesitation or very little of it the morning I sent the car in. So my only conclusion is that the diesel injector cleaner must of helped.

I only got the car back this evening, so it will be tomorrow when I drive to work before I will notice if the problem resolved itself.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Problem still exists.

I am beginning to wonder if its the fuel and where I am getting it locally.

May change to a new garage and see what happens.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Problem still exists.

I am beginning to wonder if its the fuel and where I am getting it locally.

May change to a new garage and see what happens.
i try and vary where i get my fuel this does seem to help and i also use a bottle of eco diesel and it does help and i have all of the above mentioned things done to mine that you have done....
last car was a mark 4 golf and despite what anyone says the car performed and reacted differently when run on different fuels from different garages... try that and let me know how you get on bud..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi Lads,

I used my own Autel Scanner that arrived today and found the following BMW DME codes and I used the following website to find out what they mean.

http://www.endtuning.com/bmwcodes.html

4212 = Glow Plug Cyl 1 - Activation Interrupted
4222 = Glow Plug Cyl 2 - Activation Interrupted
4232 = Glow Plug Cyl 3 - Activation Interrupted
3FF1 = Air Flow Meter
4B90 = Rail Pressure Control at Engine Start

I have posted a thread at:
http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31987
to see if others know what all this means.

I still have the hesitation. I now notice it at higher revs in higher gears. For example 6th gear round about 2200 revs. It may have always been happening at that rev and I am only noticing it now, given I know what to look for!

BMW told me they replaced 4 glowplugs, the MAF and fuel pressure was ok.
I will report back here to this thread if anything significant shows up.

·
Site Sponsor
1,966 Posts
If your car starts ok and runs on all cylinders in the cold mornings then you can discard the glow plug faults (according to a BMW SA) otherwise your glow control unit might ned changing.
Try a known good MAF whipe the faults drive the car for 10miles or so and see what comes back.
Check your battery voltage while the car is started to see if your battery is shagged.
Check the pre supply pressure and rail pressure.

Hi Lads,

I used my own Autel Scanner that arrived today and found the following BMW DME codes and I used the following website to find out what they mean.

http://www.endtuning.com/bmwcodes.html

4212 = Glow Plug Cyl 1 - Activation Interrupted
4222 = Glow Plug Cyl 2 - Activation Interrupted
4232 = Glow Plug Cyl 3 - Activation Interrupted
3FF1 = Air Flow Meter
4B90 = Rail Pressure Control at Engine Start

I have posted a thread at:
http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31987
to see if others know what all this means.

I still have the hesitation. I now notice it at higher revs in higher gears. For example 6th gear round about 2200 revs. It may have always been happening at that rev and I am only noticing it now, given I know what to look for!

BMW told me they replaced 4 glowplugs, the MAF and fuel pressure was ok.
I will report back here to this thread if anything significant shows up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks a million Chris for the feedback.

One thing I am unsure of is how to "Check the pre supply pressure and rail pressure".

In terms of the codes, I will wipe them and see if the reappear.
There is a BMW breakers near Cahir, I may give them a call to see if they have a 2nd hand MAF. I wouldn't know where I could get my hands on a known good MAF for a test. So all I can do is wipe code and see what happens.

In terms of the hesitation, I am noticing it through out the rev range now, not always but it is there and I can produce it once a day at least.

I'll check the battery tonight with volt meter with car on and off.

I will scan the BMW diagnostic printout and may upload it, if anyone may find it useful.

regards and thanks,
Will.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had all these symptoms on 2. 530ds e39. Both cases were resolved by the main culprit of the maf. Arsin around with breaker maf's is for the birds.....get a new oem one and go to a Bm indie. I feel for you as I went thru the exact same frustration.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I had all these symptoms on 2. 530ds e39. Both cases were resolved by the main culprit of the maf. Arsin around with breaker maf's is for the birds.....get a new oem one and go to a Bm indie. I feel for you as I went thru the exact same frustration.
Thanks. You'd think the BMW diagnostic scan would have shown a MAF fault!
There was some issue with "over boost" in the scan result.

I was looking at the maf-shop and it has a MAF from 160 euro plus shipping.
http://www.maf-shop.com/product_info.php/info/p40_BOSCH-Mass-Air-Flow-Meter-MAF-BMW-0928400529-13627788744.html

The one in my car has the following serial number:

The one in the web link above claims to replace this one.

If you know of other online reliable bosch maf shops, let me know.

Thanks,
Will.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Just had car back in with BMW.

They said their mistake was they forgot to wipe old codes clear.

They also said they have tested the MAF and its perfect.

I have now changed where I get my fuel and old fuel is well through system by tonight. She was not jumpy on way home.

Time will tell.

I'll report back in a few days,
Thanks,
Will.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hi,

Since I changed where I get my fuel and added a couple of bottles of diesel injector cleaner over a period of time (not all at once), the jumpyness has been reduced dramatically.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I had it on mine, but mine was more on acceleration from under 2,000rpm. In my case it was a broken swirl flap actuator. Once replace I haven't had any more issues.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts